Apply for the 2021-2022 MARC class today!
Deadline extended through June 9
Preparing Metro Atlanta’s Next Generation of Leaders
Since 1998, the Model Atlanta Regional Commission (MARC) youth leadership program has engaged hundreds of students in experiential learning with the region’s leaders and experts in transportation, natural resource sustainability, community development, and more.
Each of the Atlanta region’s 10 metro counties (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry and Rockdale) and the City of Atlanta are represented in the diverse range of 10th and 11th grade students that have completed the program.
The MARC Program
MARC participants go beyond classroom learning to become immersed in the planning and development of a large metro region. Leadership, communication, and collaboration are some of the skills developed as students take tours, engage in debates, complete case studies, and learn from the region’s transportation, planning, arts and culture, and human services experts.
Recent MARC experiences include:
- Transformative discussions with top regional leaders and experts
- A hands-on case study on energy resources at Georgia Power
- Exclusive behind the scenes access to award winning facilities
- Use of industry-grade planning software
- Interactive pre-session leadership and planning activities
- Travel to multiple counties in the Atlanta region
Model Atlanta Regional Commission
MARC Commitment and Requirements
MARC 2021-2022 Dates
MARC 2021-2022 will begin in August as a hybrid experience. Initial sessions will be held online and transition to in-person as COVID-19 safety guidelines allow. More information on the curriculum will be provided at a later date.
- Saturday, August 14 – Kick-off (Online)
- Saturday, September 18 (Online)
- Saturday, October 16 (Online)
- Saturday, November 13 – All Day Retreat (In-person)
- Saturday, December 11 (In-person)
- Saturday, January 22 – Open House (In-person)
- Saturday, February 26 – MARC Community Day (Optional)
- Wednesday, March 9 – ARC Board Presentation (Optional)
The MARC application deadline has been extended through June 9, 2021.
- Applications must be complete for consideration.
- Students must be rising high school sophomores or juniors.
- Students must demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Students must demonstrate an interest in civic and community issues.
- Students are selected based on their level of service and leadership, recommendations, and responses to essay questions.