The application period for the 2022-2023 MARC class has closed. Information about the 2023-2024 class will be posted in March 2023.
Preparing Metro Atlanta’s Next Generation of Leaders
Since 1998, the Model Atlanta Regional Commission (MARC) youth leadership program has engaged hundreds of students in experiential learning with the region’s leaders and experts in transportation, natural resource sustainability, community development, and more.
Each of the Atlanta region’s 11 metro counties (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry and Rockdale) and the City of Atlanta are represented in the diverse range of 10th and 11th grade students that have completed the program.
The MARC Program
MARC participants go beyond classroom learning to become immersed in the planning and development of a large metro region. Leadership, communication, and collaboration are some of the skills developed as students take tours, engage in debates, complete case studies, and learn from the region’s transportation, planning, arts and culture, and human services experts.
Recent MARC experiences include:
- Transformative discussions with top regional leaders and experts
- A hands-on case study on energy resources at Georgia Power
- Exclusive behind the scenes access to award winning facilities
- Use of industry-grade planning software
- Interactive pre-session leadership and planning activities
- Travel to multiple counties in the Atlanta region
Model Atlanta Regional Commission
MARC Commitment and Requirements
MARC 2022-2023 Dates
MARC 2022-2023 sessions are scheduled to take place in person on the following dates. In the event that COVID-19 safety guidelines dictate virtual meetings, sessions may transition to an online format. Participants will be given advanced notice of any programmatic changes that may occur due to COVID-19.
- Saturday, August 13 – Kick-off
- Saturday, September 10 – All Day Retreat
- Saturday, October 15
- Saturday, November 12
- Saturday, December 10
- Saturday, January 21 – Open House
- Saturday, February 25 – MARC Community Day (Optional)
- Wednesday, March 8 – ARC Board Presentation (Optional)
MARC Applications are due by May 1, 2022.
- Applications must be complete for consideration.
- Students must be sophomores or juniors during the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Students must demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Students must demonstrate an interest in civic and community issues.
- Students are selected based on their level of service and leadership, recommendations, and responses to essay questions.