Preparing Metro Atlanta’s Next Generation of Leaders
Since 1998, the Model Atlanta Regional Commission (MARC) youth leadership program has brought together 50 high school students representing the 10-county Atlanta region (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry and Rockdale counties and the city of Atlanta).
The MARC Program
As a cohort, MARC members are a part of engaging and thoughtful conversations with community leaders and ARC experts while participating in experiential learning through field trips and visits to various community partners throughout the region.
While organized into committees mirroring the ARC Board, MARC participants practice effective leadership, communication and collaboration skills through the development of actionable ideas and efforts to promote positive change in our region. Participants learn about issues shaping metro Atlanta like transportation and transit, community planning, sustainability of our natural resources, human services, and public art.
Recent ideas put forth by MARC members include:
- An app that identifies where sidewalks need to be built
- A forum to bring together groups working to combat sex trafficking
- A website to provide information about volunteer opportunities in metro Atlanta
- A water conservation outreach campaign
- An option on Georgia state tax returns to allocate $1 toward senior services
MARC Commitment and Requirements
MARC 2018-2019 Dates
Accepted participants must commit to attending each of the sessions below, as well as spending 1-4 hours between each session on research and collaboration. MARC students will be eligible to receive at least 40 hours of community service at the end of the program.
- Saturday, August 18 – Kick-off
- Saturday, September 15 – Retreat
- Saturday, October 13
- Saturday, November 10
- Saturday, December 15
- Saturday, January 26
- Wednesday, February 27
The 2018-2019 application is now open. The deadline to apply is April 6 and notifications of acceptance are sent to applicants in early April. Please email Brittney Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Applications may be completed online or printed and sent to:
Atlanta Regional Commission
Attn: Brittney Palmer
229 Peachtree St NE, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30303
- Students must be rising high school sophomores or juniors
- An equitable representation of the 10-county region
- Students must demonstrate an interest in civic and community issues
- Students are selected based on their level and breadth of participation in extracurricular activities, a written essay and recommendations.