The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is the mechanism by which federal, state and local funds are approved for all significant surface transportation projects and programs in the region. The FY 2020-2025 TIP comprises the first six years of the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Atlanta region. As the federally recognized Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for a 20-county region, ARC is responsible for developing and amending/updating the TIP and RTP to meet federal planning requirements and address local needs.
Currently, staff are compiling changes to be considered for an Amendment to the TIP/RTP.
Purpose of the FY 2020-2025 TIP/RTP Amendment #5
- Program additional fiscal year 2022 federal funding apportioned under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA)
- Incorporate new GDOT-sponsored bridge upgrade projects and related federal funding
- Address project cost estimate and programmatic changes that are of a time sensitive nature or cannot be handled administratively.
All amendments require a conformity determination from the US DOT, in consultation with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This amendment is expected to receive an updated conformity determination by the US DOT and US EPA by June 2022. The most recent conformity determination was issued by US DOT and US EPA on March 16, 2022.
Amendment materials are under development and will be linked below when available ahead of the public comment period.
- Public Review and Comment Period – May 5, 2022 to May 18, 2022
- Public Hearing – May 11, 2022 @ 10:30AM
- Committee and Board Action:
- Transportation Coordinating Committee action– June 3, 2022
- Transportation & Air Quality Committee action – June 8, 2022
- ARC Board action – June 8, 2022
- GRTA Board action – June 8, 2022
- Conformity Determination Expected from US DOT – mid to late June 2022
To comment or for additional information:
- The public review and comment period will run from May 5 to May 18, 2022. ARC must receive comments prior to midnight on this date to be considered in the official record of comments.
- There will be an opportunity to present comments verbally at a public hearing taking place during the Transportation and Air Quality Committee (TAQC) held at the ARC Conference Center on May 11, 2022 at 10:30 am. A summary of all comments received during the period and responses to those comments will be presented to ARC’s technical and policy committees and the ARC
- Board for their consideration before taking action on the Planning Amendment.
- Complete details of the proposed changes and opportunities for review and comment are available on the ARC website at www.atlantaregional.org/amendment or by calling Rebecca Apter, (470) 378-1557.
- To comment verbally, call (470) 378-1557 to speak to staff or leave a voice message or send by fax to (470) 423-3548.
- If special assistance in understanding the contents of this amendment is needed, please call ARC at (470) 378-1557.
To comment in writing, please send to:
Manager, Transportation Access and Mobility Group
Atlanta Regional Commission
229 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30303
Fax: (470) 423-3548
All other inquiries related to the regional transportation planning process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or (470) 378-1557.