The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is the mechanism by which federal, state and local funds are approved for all significant surface transportation projects and programs in the region. The FY 2020-2025 TIP comprises the first six years of the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Atlanta region. As the federally recognized Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for a 20-county region, ARC is responsible for developing and amending/updating the TIP and RTP to meet federal planning requirements and address local needs.
Currently, staff are compiling changes to be considered for an Amendment to the TIP/RTP.
Purpose of Amendment
- Partially incorporate forthcoming recommendations of the 2019 TIP project solicitation,
- Update financial and travel demand modeling assumptions for the Major Mobility Investment Program (MMIP) and other projects with a substantial state interest,
- Incorporate new local and state funded capacity projects into the ARC travel demand model, and
- Address project cost estimate and programmatic changes that are of a time sensitive nature or cannot be handled administratively.
All amendments require a conformity determination from the US DOT, in consultation with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This amendment will involve a new air quality conformity determination by the United States Department of Transportation and is expected September 2020. The most recent regional emissions analysis was approved by FHWA and EPA on February 18, 2020.
- Programming and modeling changes
- Conformity Determination Report (CDR)
- Legal Advertisement
- Public Review and Comment Period – July 31, 2020 to August 19, 2020
- Public Hearing – August 13, 2020 @ 10:30AM – virtual meeting information available at www.atlantaregional.org/taqc
- Committee and Board Action:
- Transportation Coordinating Committee action– September 4, 2020
- Transportation & Air Quality Committee action – September 10, 2020
- ARC Board action – September 23, 2020
- GRTA Board action – September 9, 2020
To comment or for additional information:
- The public review and comment period will run from July 31 through August 19, 2020. ARC must receive comments prior to midnight on this date in order to be considered in the official record of comments
- There will be an opportunity to present comments verbally at a public hearing taking place during the Transportation & Air Quality Committee teleconference on August 13, 2020 at 9:30 am. Teleconference login details are available at: www.atlantaregional.org/taqc. Intent to present comments at this meeting should be emailed to: email@example.com or notice via phone at: 470-378-1563, by 4:00 pm August 12, 2020
- A summary of all comments received during the period and responses to those comments will be presented to ARC’s technical and policy committees and the ARC Board for their consideration before taking action on the Planning Amendment.
- Complete details of the proposed changes and opportunities for review and comment are available on the ARC website at www.atlantaregional.org/amendment or by calling Melissa Roberts, (470) 378-1563.
- To comment verbally, call (470) 378-1563 to speak to staff or leave a voice message or send by fax to (470) 423-3548.
- If special assistance in understanding the contents of this amendment is needed, please call ARC at (470) 378-1563.
To comment in writing, please send to:
John Orr, Manager, Transportation Access and Mobility Group
Atlanta Regional Commission
229 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30303
Fax: (470) 423-3548
All other inquiries related to the regional transportation planning process should be addressed to Melissa Roberts, ARC, firstname.lastname@example.org or (470) 378-1563.