Atlanta — Mar 05, 2020
The Atlanta Regional Commission today announced that four mayors and four citizen members have joined the 39-member ARC board.
The new board members are:
- Deane Bonner, representing Citizen District 13, which includes a portion of Cobb County
- Greg Cantrell, representing Citizen District 8, which includes a portion of Gwinnett County
- Ollie Clemons, Mayor of the City of Austell
- Mike Mason, Mayor of the City of Peachtree Corners
- Steven Miller, Mayor of the City of Holly Springs
- Angelia O’Neal, representing Citizen District 5, which includes portions of Cobb, Douglas, and Fulton counties, and a portion of the City of Atlanta
- Richard Sylvia, representing Citizen District 1, which includes portions of DeKalb and Henry counties.
- Vince Williams, Mayor of the City of Union City
The eight new members join 19 other elected officials, 11 other citizen members, and a representative from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs on the board.
“The new board members will bring fresh ideas and perspective as we work to tackle the challenges facing our fast-growing, dynamic region,” said ARC Board Chairman Kerry Armstrong.
ARC will undertake several key initiatives in 2020, including:
- Working to implement the Metro Atlanta Housing Strategy, which helps local communities better understand and address their housing challenges.
- Adopting a strategic plan for Aging & Independence Services that aims to address inequalities that create disparities in life expectancy across the Atlanta region.
- Hosting the ConnectATL summit on March 31, in partnership with Georgia Department of Transportation, to help the region prepare for the future of mobility and community.
The 39-member ARC Board consists of the county commission chair from each of the 10 member counties, the mayor and a council member from the city of Atlanta, and a mayor from each of the 10 counties with the exception of Fulton, which has two mayoral representatives, one from North Fulton and one from South Fulton. The board also includes 15 citizen members selected by the board’s elected officials and a representative from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the official planning agency for the 10-county Atlanta Region, including Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry and Rockdale counties as well as the City of Atlanta and 73 other cities. The Atlanta Regional Commission serves as a catalyst for regional progress by focusing leadership, attention and planning resources on key regional issues.
# # #
Contact Name: Junior Knox
Contact Phone: 470-378-1648
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org