Posted on: Feb 24, 2016
Contact: Jim Jaquish
(Atlanta – Feb 24, 2016)
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) board has sworn in six new members, a group that includes four mayors and two citizen members. The new board members are:
- Steve Hutchison, mayor, City of Hampton
- Mark Mathews, citizen member, District 14
- Rick Roberts, mayor, City of Ball Ground
- Rochelle Robinson, mayor, City of Douglasville
- Donna Sheldon, citizen member, District 8
- Steve “Thunder” Tumlin, mayor, City of Marietta
ARC also announced officer and committee appointments. ARC officers for 2016 are:
- Chair: Kerry Armstrong, citizen member, District 9
- Vice-chair: Kasim Reed, mayor, City of Atlanta
- Secretary: Tim Lee, chair, Cobb County Commission
- Treasurer: Bob Reeves, citizen member, District 3
- Parliamentarian: Julie K. Arnold, citizen member, District 12
ARC committee leaders for 2016 are:
- Clark Boddie, mayor of the City of Palmetto, will chair the Aging & Health Resources Committee. Nancy Harris, mayor of the City of Duluth, will serve as vice chair.
- Richard Oden, chair and CEO of the Rockdale County Commission, will chair the Community Resources Committee. Mark Mathews, a citizen member from District 14, will serve as vice chair.
- Tim Lee, chair of the Cobb County Commission, will chair the Regional Transit Committee.
- Eric Dial, mayor of the City of Tyrone, will chair the Strategic Relations Committee. Julie K. Arnold, a citizen member from North Fulton County, will serve as vice chair.
- Tom Worthan, chair of the Douglas County Commission, will chair the Transportation & Air Quality Committee. Charlotte Nash, chair of the Gwinnett County Commission, will serve as vice chair.
The 39-member ARC Board consists of the county commission chair from each of the 10 member counties, the mayor and a council member from the City of Atlanta, and a mayor from each of the 10 counties with the exception of Fulton, which has two mayoral representatives, one from North Fulton and one from South Fulton. The board also includes a representative from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs and 15 citizen members selected by the board’s elected officials.
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the official planning agency for the 10-county Atlanta Region, including Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry and Rockdale counties as well as the City of Atlanta and 70 other cities. The Atlanta Regional Commission serves as a catalyst for regional progress by focusing leadership, attention and planning resources on key regional issues.
# # #