Atlanta — Nov 10, 2021
The ARC Board today elected a new slate of at-large citizen members to join the board for terms beginning on January 1, 2022.
The elections are required following the adoption of the updated at-large district boundary map by members of the Georgia Legislature whose districts are wholly or in part of the ARC’s 11-county area. The boundaries are revisited every 10 years, after the release of the U.S. Census population totals.
The citizen members elected today are:
- District 1 (Henry and Rockdale): Murphy Talmadge
- District 2 (Portions of Atlanta, Clayton, Fulton): Charlton Bivins
- District 3 (Portions of Atlanta, Clayton, Fayette, Fulton): Robert “Bob” Reeves
- District 4 (Portions of Atlanta and Fulton): Amol Naik
- District 5 (Portions of Cobb, Douglas, Fulton, Atlanta): Angelia O’Neal
- District 6 (Portions of Atlanta and DeKalb): VACANT
- District 7 (Portions of Atlanta and DeKalb): Liane Levetan
- District 8 (Portion of Gwinnett County): Greg Cantrell
- District 9 (Portion of Gwinnett County): Kerry Armstrong
- District 10 (Portions of Fulton and Gwinnett): VACANT
- District 11 (Portions of Atlanta, DeKalb, and Fulton): VACANT
- District 12 (Forsyth County, portion of Fulton): Thomas “Tom” Meinhart
- District 13 (Portion of Cobb): Michelle Cooper Kelly
- District 14 (Portions of Cherokee and Cobb): Tangela Jones
- District 15 (Portions of Cherokee and Fulton): Steve Stancil
The board will vote to fill the vacant seats after candidates are nominated.
“These citizen members bring a wealth of diverse perspectives to the regional planning table and provide the insights and expertise we need to move the region forward,” said ARC Board Chairman Kerry Armstrong.
Citizen members are nominated by elected officials, and they must be a resident of the district he/she represents, cannot hold elective or appointed public office, or be an employee of any political jurisdiction in the Atlanta region.
ARC is governed by a 41-member board that consists of:
- The county commission chair from each of the 11 member counties
- The mayor and a council member from the region’s largest city (City of Atlanta)
- One mayor from each of the 11 member counties, with the exception of Fulton, which has two mayoral representatives (one from north Fulton and one from south Fulton)
- 15 citizen members who are selected by the ARC board’s elected officials
- A representative from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.
ARC Citizen District Map
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the official planning agency for the 11-county Atlanta Region, including Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, and Rockdale counties as well as the City of Atlanta and 74 other cities. The Atlanta Regional Commission serves as a catalyst for regional progress by focusing leadership, attention and planning resources on key regional issues.
# # #
Contact Name: Paul Donsky
Contact Phone: 404-202-4662
Contact Email: email@example.com