Building Peer Connections Through Sustainability Internships
ARC’s Sustainable Connections Internship Program is designed to connect university students in the Atlanta region who are interested in careers in sustainability with local governments and nonprofits in need of sustainability programming assistance.
The internship program is designed to:
- Engage students in meaningful work with communities while providing hands-on experience and build relationships with local government, nonprofit and sustainability professionals.
- Connect students working toward sustainability careers with a network of peers for sharing experiences, knowledge and insights.
- Help communities implement sustainability initiatives that they may not have the time or resources to complete on their own.
The student application and community proposal period is open from April – May of 2018.
Sustainable Connection Events
The program helps participants build connections with peers and industry professionals through events held throughout the academic year where students network, discuss readings and studies and hear from key regional sustainability leaders.
A Sustainable Connections Symposium is held at the end of the program, allowing interns to present their work to their colleagues, academic and sustainability advisors and members of the ARC Board and staff.
These events offer the interns valuable opportunities to share insights and lessons learned during the program within their respective communities and fields of study.
Projects proposed by local governments and nonprofits may be focused on waste reduction and recycling, green building, energy efficiency, water conservation, air quality and transportation, land use, trees and greenspace, and employee and community education.
Projects undertaken by past Sustainable Connections interns include:
- Conducting an inventory of sustainability initiatives
- Assisting with development of a green infrastructure plan
- Monitoring stream health
- Educating young people about clean water
- Aiding implementation of a new greenway
- Developing a social media strategy for a local non-profit
Sustainable Connections Internship Program Guidelines: