Rockdale County was created in 1870 out of Henry and Newton counties and pieces of Walton, Gwinnett and DeKalb counties. It was named after Rockdale Baptist Church, which itself was named after the granite layer sitting beneath the red clay soil.
Major landmarks include Randy Poynter Lake, Monastery of the Holy Spirit and Panola Mountain. Large employers include Rockdale Medical Center, Acuity Brands Lighting, Hill-Phoenix and Golden State Foods.
Rockdale County has grown steadily and now has one of the region’s more diverse populations.
Within Rockdale County is the City of Conyers.
Rockdale County by the Numbers (2018)
|Population Change (since 2010)||+7.1%|
|Population Forecast (2050)||112,928|
|Median Household Income||$57,049|
|Mean Travel Time to Work*||31 minutes|
|Single Family Building Permits||300 units|
|Multifamily Building Permits||4 units|
- Neighborhood Nexus Rockdale County Data Profile
- Neighborhood Nexus Rockdale County Fact Sheet
- Rockdale Population & Employment Forecast
- GEEARS Early Childhood Profile for Rockdale County
- Metro Atlanta Speaks Data Dashboard
- Georgia Municipal Association (GMA) Data Dashboard
- ARC 2019 Annual Report - Rockdale County
Other Rockdale County Resources
ARC Board Members Representing Rockdale
- Oz Nesbitt, Chair, Rockdale County Commission
- Vince Evans, Mayor, City of Conyers
- Mike Houchard, Citizen Member, District 6
- US Census Bureau, County Population Estimates, 2018
- US Census Bureau, American Community Survey (1-year estimates), 2018
- Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC), Series 16 Forecasts
- HUD, State of the Cities Data System (SOCDS), 2018
* Showing 2012-16 (5-year average) data due to lack of 2017 (1-year) data for this county