Fulton County was created in 1853 out of the western half of DeKalb County. In 1932, due to financial concerns stemming from the Great Depression, two counties -- Milton (to the north) and Campbell (to the south) -- merged into Fulton.
Notable landmarks include the Georgia State Capitol, Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area and the High Museum of Art. Large employers include Delta Air Lines, Georgia Institute of Technology and Sun Trust Banks.
Fulton continues to experience robust growth and remains the most populous county in Georgia.
Within Fulton County are the cities of Atlanta*, Alpharetta, Chatahoochee Hills, College Park*, East Point, Fairburn, Hapeville, Johns Creek, Milton, Mountain Park*, Palmetto*, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Union City, and South Fulton.
Fulton County by the Numbers (2018)
|Population Change (since 2010)||+15.2%|
|Population Forecast (2050)||1,473,300|
|Median Household Income||$64,787|
|Mean Travel Time to Work||29 minutes|
|Single Family Building Permits||4,394 units|
|Multifamily Building Permits||5,657 units|
Fulton County Data Resources
- Neighborhood Nexus Fulton County Data Profile
- Neighborhood Nexus Fulton County Fact Sheet
- Fulton Population & Employment Forecast
- GEEARS Early Childhood Profile for Fulton County
- Metro Atlanta Speaks Data Dashboard
- Georgia Municipal Association (GMA) Data Dashboard
- ARC 2019 Annual Report - Fulton County
Other Fulton County Resources
ARC Board Members Representing All or Parts of Fulton
- Robb Pitts, Chair, Fulton County Commission
- Clark Boddie, Mayor, City of Palmetto
- Rusty Paul, Mayor, City of Sandy Springs
- Bob Reeves, Citizen Member, District 3
- Alex Wan, Citizen Member, District 4
- Kip Berry, Citizen Member, District 5
- Mickey McGuire, Citizen Member, District 11
- Julie K. Arnold, Citizen Member, District 12
- US Census Bureau, County Population Estimates, 2018
- US Census Bureau, American Community Survey (1-year estimates), 2018
- Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC), Series 16 Forecasts
- HUD, State of the Cities Data System (SOCDS), 2018
* These cities belong to more than one county.