Lifelong Communities Allow Individuals to Age in Place
The vast majority of individuals want to remain in their homes and in their communities as they age. ARC’s Lifelong Communities initiative helps guide efforts at the local level to create places that meet the needs of residents of all ages and abilities.
We work with local governments, community partners, and residents to design more inclusive lifelong communities that offer multiple housing types and enhanced transportation options, increased opportunities for healthy living, and convenient access to shopping, services, and transit.
Specifically, a lifelong community:
- Provides housing and transportation options that are affordable, accessible, located close to services, and available within existing communities to ensure all ages and abilities can access services and remain independent.
- Encourages healthy lifestyles by designing safe and walkable communities that promote physical activity and social interaction and enable easy access to food and healthcare.
- Expands access to necessary services and information. To enhance access to information and services in the 10-county Atlanta region, ARC’s empowerline provides information for older people, individuals with disabilities, and caregivers. And ARC’s empowerlinePRO is a subscription-based database of aging, long-term care, and disabilities resources for professionals to find quality services providers statewide in moments.
Explore our policy briefs to better understand certain challenges unique to older people and suggested solutions to create lifelong communities.
VIDEO - AGE-FRIENDLY ATLANTA
ARC supports communities in their efforts to be lifelong through their policies, systems, services, and design. The Lifelong Communities Assessment provides a first step for communities to assess existing conditions and identify opportunities to better meet the needs of residents of all ages and abilities. The Lifelong Communities Handbook guides local communities in development and community design that fosters these age-friendly communities.
If you are interested in joining ARC’s Lifelong Communities Partnership comprised of communities and partners around the region, contact email@example.com. The partnership convenes quarterly to share ideas and learn from each other.
VIDEO - SWEET AUBURN: LIVING BEYOND EXPECTATIONS
In June 2014, ARC was joined by community and tactical urbanism partners to create a temporary Lifelong Community on two-blocks of Atlanta’s historic Sweet Auburn Avenue. Over a three-day period, the “Sweet Auburn Living Beyond Expectations Transformation” project demonstrated many of the elements that help create a Lifelong Community. For more details, view the guide from the Sweet Auburn event, read the summary report, or watch the video below.
Meeting the Future Needs of Our Changing Region
ARC develops plans with the goal of better enabling people of all ages and abilities to remain in their homes and communities. People who stay in their communities generally experience a better quality of life, with improved physical and mental health. These plans convey a framework for the region that identifies priority focus areas as well as goals and strategies to collectively achieve well-designed well-being. These plans include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Living Beyond Expectations Regional Strategic Plan focuses on older people and persons with disabilities to better align services and supports.
- Human Services Transportation Plan focuses on providing transportation options to often underserved populations in the Atlanta region.
- Bike Pedestrian Plan Walk. Bike. Thrive! establishes a regional vision and uses data-driven strategies to support local initiatives and decision making throughout the region to help communities create walkable and bikeable communities for all ages and abilities.
Given that anticipated funding for services won’t keep pace with the growing population, ARC constantly seeks new and innovative approaches and partnerships to support older adults and people with disabilities across the region.