Periodically, ARC staff and outside parties conduct reviews and studies to monitor the successes and challenges of the Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) program. These reports seek to determine, among other things, the forms of development that are taking place in LCI areas, and how policies and regulations have changed in LCI communities to reflect the goals of the LCI program. They also examine the benefits and impacts the LCI plans, policies and resulting projects might have on the region as a whole. These completed reports and evaluations can be viewed below.
2015 LCI Implementation Report
This biennial report is gathered through a survey and development inventory that is sent to all LCI communities. The Implementation Report allows ARC to track the developments and policies implemented in each LCI community to make sure that the plan is achieving its desired goals.
Past reports are available upon request. For more information about the LCI program, contact Jared Lombard.
Awards and Recognition
The LCI program has received numerous awards and recognition for its innovative approach to planning. Below is a list of awards and honors, both local and national, bestowed on the LCI program since its inception in 1999. Also included below are links to major reports featuring the LCI program.
- APA National Planning Excellence Award for Implementation, 2009
- EPA National Award for Smart Growth Achievement – Policies and Regulations, 2008
- National Association of Regional Councils – Certificate of Excellence for Best Practices Project, 2005
- Federal Highway Administration & Federal Transit Administration – Transportation Planning Excellence Award for Transportation and Land Use Integration, 2004
- Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations – Noteworthy MPO Practices in Transportation-Land Use Planning Integration, 2004
- Georgia Planning Association – Outstanding Innovative & Effective Planning Process, 2000
- Articles in Georgia Trend (Sept 2006 & July 2004), New Urban News (March 2002), Brownfield News (Apr 2005), numerous articles in Atlanta Business Chronicle, AJC and other local papers
- Cole Fellows 2002 LCI Evaluation Taskforce Report (PDF)
- Chris Nelson Report – Strategic Role of LCI (PDF)
- SMARTRAQ Report – Before and After Study of LCI (PDF)